A Shirt for Spring
April 3, 2012 § 4 Comments
I made this top recently out of some old drapery fabric that I found in a give-away box at my in-laws’ church. I remember grabbing it out of that box and debating: do I love this or hate it? Is it so retro, it’s modern, or just dowdy? I absolutely responded to the colors, though, so I decided to go for it. I thought Lisette pattern 2245 was a good fit since it’s a little vintage and a little mod at the same time. I really like this pattern, but there is a major issue with the neck bands and facings in the original pattern. The pieces just don’t fit the shirt when you go to attach it. So, I improvised and made a bias band around the top. I think I like the neck a little more open than the original pattern looks anyway, so this worked out well.
I decided to enter this shirt in the Made by Rae Spring Top Sewalong to motivate me to finish it (being part of a group, having a deadline, possibly winning fabric!). You can see the Flickr group here. Maybe you want to make a shirt for spring to enter, too!